GREY POINT FORT WW1 COASTAL DEFENCE BATTERY GREY POINT FORT AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY - Helen’s Bay Crawfordsburn 2008 Grey Point Fort was built in 1905 on land purchased form the Marquis of Dufferin and Ava at a cost of £8400.00 and within Grey Point Fort there are a number of buildings.  Please view this document of the deed map of Grey Point Fort dated 19th April 1905  The Quarters  These quarters were built along with the rest of the fort in 1904 and it was established to house the Master Gunner or the permanant staff for maintenance of the armaments. It is now  a private residence.  Engine House  This housed the generator for the searchlights and internal lighting at the fort, but is presently used for storage.  Gates  The gates into the fort were the only entrance, the walls were originally surmounted by a tall iron fence known as the “unclimbable fence”, the gates, the wall and the iron fence still  protect the entrance to the fort to the present day. WW1 and WW2 trenches around the fort are still visible today. Gun Store  The gun store was used for guns, machine guns and two 4.5 inch howitzers for defence against shore based attack (second world war) and latterly two 25 pounder saluting guns,  presently there is only one 25-pounder gun on display  The Battery  The battery is armed with two 6 inch breech loading, Mark VII Naval guns, 100 feet apart, with angled reinforced concrete glacis sloping to seaward,  Originally the guns were mounted ‘en barbette’, that is firing over the top of the parapet, but gunhouses were added in 1940 to give protection against air  attack. On the parapet and under each gun platform were a series of shell recesses which contained an immediate supply  of ammunition.  The reserve was below ground in the magazine and sent up to the gun floor in a manually operated lift.